Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Judging a book by its cover

I admit I do. Many, many times I have picked up a book because the cover caught my eye.The cover for a book is like the model for a swimsuit.


The thin sexy beauty gets up there and struts her stuff across the stage. Clad in the designers swimwear. Sure we like the bikini, but what sells us on going to the store and trying it on is the model.

She shows us how good it makes her look and we think, “I would look so hot in that.”  At least until we get into the dressing room. Once we get our not so modelish form squeezed into the bits of spandex will we know for sure if we really like it.

The same goes for a book cover we look at it and say ooo that’s a great cover. Caught by color or image and reach out to “try it on.”

Opening the book becomes stepping into the dressing room. We read the synopsis, the first few pages. Maybe give it the old page 99 test. Then we know if it’s a keeper or makes our butt look too big.

But it was the cover that got us that far. The best covers are simple, to the point. Eye catching colors or a stark image that says, “I’m the perfect fit.”

As a designer myself it’s very important to find the perfect image to capture the feel or meaning of the book. I want the reader to know what kind of story their looking at. At the same time I want it to grab attention and say, “Pick me, pick me!”

Not an easy task. Having a good designer is as important as having a good editor. You want a designer that will choose materials to bring your work to life.

Readers judge books by their covers, just like we do clothing on a model. The perfect cover design is just like that swimsuit. It will make you look sleek and sexy for all to oogle on the beach… er the bookshelf.


1 comment:

  1. I know I judge books by the cover often. One of the best books I read in high school was an assignment to go to the library or book store and pick a book in your favorite genre based on the cover and title only. I found Starseed by Spider Robinson and Jeanne Robinson. Funny thing is, I read it so many times the cover has been lost for more than a decade.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!