Thursday, January 24, 2013

A treadmill, a hair cut and Paris ROW80 week 3


Sometimes life is like running on a treadmill. You find a nice steady pace around 4 on the dial. You can keep up with, tasks come along and you jog right through them. Then someone walks by your machine and cranks the dial up to 10. Life gets busy, crazy and that jog turns out to a full out run.

Still doable but… there’s always that shoelace that comes undone and trips you up. Sometimes you can regain balance and run through the craziness, other times…. Well other times you just fly off the belt and lay on the floor for a while counting stars.

Jean Paul as we run through Paris. Hey I can dream :) 
Life is full of those crazy moments it’s how you deal with them that makes the difference. While you’re on the floor taking in those stars, think about the events that have lead up becoming airborne. What was the catalyst? Is there something you can do that would help turn that dial back down to a manageable pace?

When you can get a breath and peel up from the tile take a break. Doesn’t have to be a long one, even five or ten minutes makes a world of difference. Take a break do something that has nothing to do with what is stressing you. Get some fresh air, read a book, indulge in a sweet treat, have a shopping therapy session.

Now you’re ready to get back on that treadmill and imagine you're running through the streets of Paris with sexy Jean Paul. Oui Oui!

You’ll be able to look at everything with fresh eyes to pinpoint where those laces got tangled. It’s easier to untangle the knot with a relaxed clear head, than to try and struggle with the burden of frustrations.

This week was that kind of week for me easy going then whoa! Then my birthday so I took that day off and indulged. I got a much needed hair cut (11 inches off !) and had lunch with my son. It was a nice afternoon and a much needed respite. Though, I failed one goal, I didn’t get my article for the week finishedI don’t feel discouraged, I’m ready to get back on that treadmill.

It’s a new week for ROW80 and the treadmill is reset. Speaking of … time to reset goals.

1. 1000 words a day
2. Edit for at least 30 minutes every day.
3. Write one article a week.

Your turn! What do you do to recharge after getting thrown off the treadmill? 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like your birthday gave you exactly the gift you needed--yourself again. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an apt metaphor, and your description has a nice patina of humor to it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously injured my knee last May. I used to be able to walk the treadmill at 4 for a good long time.

    Now, if I manage a 3, I count it a huge success...

    In my writing life, though, I avoid treadmills...here, I want PASSION!

    I see the moments when I am not physically writing as a vital part of the process...the filling, the mulling, the making of connections...all of these are necessary, for me...

    Maybe you'll whiz through two articles without breaking a sweat, this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elise, I love the way you've described this, you are so spot on! It is exactly what this week has been like for me.

    I hope you adore the new haircut. Just keep running!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!