Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Author Chat: Rosalind Smith-Nazilli


Today we welcome author Rosalind Smith-Nazilli to the Ludis. She's here to talk about flash fiction, Camp NaNoWriMo, and  a bit about living life in Turkey. So make sure your cup is full and chat with us. 

Tell us about Rosalind Smith-Nazilli
Just a woman with a lot of words in her head.  I shall be 57 next month and am lucky enough to live a very undemanding life by the sea in Turkey.

I am originally from the UK but discovered this paradise about seventeen years ago, and stayed.

What inspires you to write mostly flash fiction?
I have tried and failed to write longer work but my brain has developed a real relationship with flash.

My inspiration is always fueled by a picture or word prompt.  If I don't get an immediate reaction I move on to the next one.

You have a new book available Consequential Moments, a collection of flash stories. Can you tell us about it?
Yes of course.  There are twenty-four stories, some very short and some a little longer.  They all, in one way or another result from a moment of consequence, hence the title.

To be perfectly honest, some of the collection was previously published under a different title, but I realized that I had acted in haste and withdrew it, re-formatted and sought a professional to create the cover.  I am totally happy with it now whereas before I wasn't.

How is writing flash fiction different from writing a full-length novel?
Well the best part of course is that, for me, there is no planning or outlining involved.
When something comes in to my head, I just write it and nine times out of ten it goes out as it came to me.  I rarely edit flash fiction, apart from spelling and grammar of course, because to me that is the beauty of flash, a lot of story in few words.

Do you have a writing routine or just grab a pen when the muse hits?
No routine to speak of, but the laptop is open for most of the day and night and I come and go, unless I have a deadline of course.

Like all writers I can find many excuses to veer away from what I should be doing.

You’ve signed up for this round of Camp NaNoWrimo, has the experience changed your writing at all?
Yep..  Second year running and I have pulled out again.  Just can't seem to build any depth and as always, every other paragraph was presenting an idea for a flash, so I decided to cut my losses.  I have however come away with enough work for a second book of flash.

Your stories are very diverse. Do you have certain genres you prefer to write in over others?
I do have a dark side I think.  I can't write flowery prose at all.

What are your favorite writing tools?
Shame on me.  Coffee and cigarettes.  BUT..  I have recently acquired a Galaxy Tab... and yes.. I love it.

What is your favorite coffee shop treat?
Living in Turkey the variety is not what it is in the UK..  I love baklava, but do miss fresh cream.

Do you have any projects in the works or coming events you can tell us about?
A second collection of flash is my first priority, and I have now created my own separate blog that gives a flash fiction challenge every week.

Where can we find Rosalind Smith-Nazilli? 







2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this..xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview!

    So good to hear more from Rosalind and I shall definitely have to check out Inconsequential Moments. It should prove interesting to this girl who truly believes that every moment of our lives is or has consequence.

    I LOVE flash myself and hope to follow in Rosalind's footsteps with a collection of my own soon.

    I must be a glutton for punishment because I shall be diving into NaNoWriMo once again in a couple of months.

    Best wishes, Rosalind, in all your endeavours. xx <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!