Sunday, May 1, 2011

Quotes on Writing

Today starts the Savvy Authors May Boot Camp. The place to get that push you need to finish that WIP or get those edits done this month. I'm a member of Team Write Now for Boot Camp and have a good start on the word count for today. To inspire all of us this month to pick up the pen here are a few of my favorite quotes on writing. Happy Scribbles!



Quotes on Writing

If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster. 
Isaac Asimov

I get up in the morning, torture a typewriter until it screams, then stop.
Clarence Budington Kelland

Sometimes you have to go on when you don't feel like it, and sometimes you're doing good work when it feels like all you're managing is to shovel shit from a sitting position.
Stephen King

I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit. 
P. G. Wodehouse 
...after being asked about his writing technique

Being a good writer is 3% talent, 97% not being distracted by the Internet.
Anonymous

When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand. 
Raymond Chandler

If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write.
Stephen King

My most important piece of advice to all you would-be writers: when you write, try to leave out all the parts readers skip. 
Elmore Leonard

The first chapter sells the book. The last chapter sells the next book. 
Mickey Spillane

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. 
Jack London

The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense.
Tom Clancy

Get you facts first, and then you can distort 'em as much as you please. 
Mark Twain

What doesn’t kill me might make a good book.
Elise VanCise




   

2 comments:

  1. Elise, here's to making it this far, congratulations! I have an award for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Elmore's quote is my favorite of the bunch. I definitely know what is being said by that. The problem is- how do you know what your readers will skip? Sometimes I feel like it's all but the first and last chapter!
    Ava

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!